The Hollywood sign in the hills that line the northern border of Los Angeles is a famous landmark recognized the world over. The white-painted, 50-foot-high, sheet metal letters can be seen from great distances across the Los Angeles basin.
The sign was not constructed, as one might suppose, by the movie business as a means of celebrating the importance of Hollywood to this industry ; instead, it was first constructed in 1923 as a means of advertising homes for sale in a 500-acre housing subdivision in a part of Loa Angeles called “Hollywood” The sign that was constructed at the time, of course, said “Hollywood”. Over the years, people began referring to the area by the shortened version “Hollywood” and after the sign and its site were donated to the city in 1945, the last four letters were removed.
The sign suppered from years of disrepair, and in 1973 it needed to be completely replaced, at a cost of $ 27,700 per letter. Various celebrities were instrumental in helping to raise needed funds. Rock star Alice Cooper, for for Example, bought “O” in memory of Groucho Marx, and hugh Hefner of playboy fame held a benefit party to raise the money for the “Y”. the construction of the new sign was finaly completed in 1978.
141. What is the topic of this passage ?
a. Hollywood versus Hollywoodland
b. A famous sign
c. A famous city
d. Woeld landmarks
142. The expression “the world over” in line 3 could be best replaced by ……………
a. in the skies
b. in the northern parts of the world
c. ontop of the world
d. in the entrie world
143. It can be inferred from the passage that most people think that the Hollywood sign was first constructed by ………
a. the city of los Angeles
b. an advertising company
c. the movie industry
d. a construction company
144. The pronoun “it” in line 8 refers to ……………...
a. this industry
b. the sign
c. the movie business
d. the importance of Hollywood
145. Which of the following is NOT mentioned about Hollywood ?
a. It was the most expensive area of Los Angeles
b. It used to be the name of an area of Los Angeles
c. It was formerly the name on the sign in the hills.
d. There were houses for sale there
146. If something has never happened before, it is …….
147. Water that is underground is in a (n) ………..location
148. To write or place a limit around something is to …..it
149. if you see something that is not out of the ordinary, it is …..
150. If you are not careful in making decisions or in expressing opinions, you are ……
151. I am trying to ….the the place you are describing ; I would like to see it in my mind
152. The Merger of the two companies was funded by a …..
153. The student did not do well in the class because he had a problem with ……
May 27, 2006, was a day that I will never forget, it was the day I experienced my first earthquake. I had just…(154) home from masque and was lying on the living room sofa watching the news on TV. My little brother was in my room playing, and my older sister was in the kitchen preparing our breakfast our parents were still sleeping.
At exactly 5.49 a.m., the earthquake…(155)….my country. Our house started …..(156)….violently as it ….(157)…a small wooden boat being tossed by giant waves in the ocean. At first, none realized what was happening. Then my sister yelled, “Earthquakel Get under something!” I was too stunned to move, but the shaking was so strong that I soon fell off the sofa onto the floor. I half rolled, half crawled across the floor to the dining table and got under it. My sister was sitting on the floor in the kitchen. Holding her arms…(158)…her head to protect it from falling dishes. She yelled at my little brother to get under his desk, but he wanted to be near us. He tried to get out of my room, but he kept falling down. The earthquake lasted less than a minute, but it seemed like a year to us.
154. a. getting
b. to shake
d. a and b are correct
d. had been
158. a. through
159. All of my time ….in the library
a. has spending
b. is spent
c. are spent
160. “Tokyo is crowded and noisy just like New York.”
The same structure with the sentence above is …
a. Tokyo is crowded and noisy just us New York is.
b. Tokyo is crowded and noisy alike New York
c. Tokyo is crowded and noisy just us New York
d. Tokyo is crowded and noisy as New York
161. I started school when I was five years old. I …a student for seventeen years now.
a. am to be
c. am being
d. have been
162. I was scared, ……I was also curious about the old lady.
163. Because the river ….steadily since Sunday, the residents of the area have been advised to prepare for flood conditions.
a. has been ris
c. had risen
164. The best diamonds are transparent and colorless, but they actually …..in color from clear to black,
a. have been ranging
c. are ranging
165. …..certain molds and fungi to multiply very rapidly
a. Tripical weather causes
b. A tropical weather causes
c. Tropical weather causes
d. The tropical weather causes
166. No one knowa where Tony is living now. The last time that I ran ….was about four years ago.
a. into him
b. him down
c. down him
d. him into
167. It is generally considered unwise to give a child …he or she wants.
a. whatever that
b. whatever is it
168 Response : I used to, but I resigned my membership
a. wouldn’t you have belonged to the English club ?
b. Didn’t you use to belong to the English Club ?
c. Wouldn’t you belong to the English club /
d. Won’t you belong to the English club ?
169. The proposal ….discussed when I called the office this morning
c. have been
d. was being
170. Armansyah seems …the point you were making.
b. having misunderstood
c. to have misunderstood
171. Not only ……a good thing : he did the right thing
a. will sam do
b. Sam did
c. Sam do
d. Did Sam do
172. Soekarno, …..one of the strongest Indonesian President, served from 1945 to 1965.
c. is considered
d was considered
173. In the view of the STAN lecturers’union, it is essential that discipline …..maintained in the classroom.
a. is to be
174. Ditto …Indonesia before he came to Jakarta to study in the international student program.
a. had never visited
b. has never visited
c. never visited
d. would never visited
175. Thomas Alfa Edison invented …..
a. the electric lights
b. an electric light
c. electric light
d. electric lights
IDENTIFYING THE ERROR
176. When a bone is broke into several pieces,
doctors my pin the pieces together for proper
177. I have spent three weeks in Germany last July.
A B C D
178. The Hammerhead shark is usual found in warm A B
179. We would spend a week on the beach at parang
teritis, but we changed our minds
180. As one climbs high up a mountain, the air
becomes both colder or thinner